A preacher (Harold Camping) has invested a lot of time and money into making us believe that God is coming back and the world will end this Saturday, May 21, 2011. I don't believe it. First of all I think if the world ended, there would be no warning. It would be like a tornado, and earthquake or a sudden massive heart attack. We wouldn't expect it and it would catch us so suddenly that we wouldn't have time to act. There would be no post apocalypse. Not if the actual world ended. Now if life as we know it ended...wait that has already happened several times in the course of human history...from beginnings and ending of empires and wars to massive natural disasters that have left large pieces of the earth in ruins. Despite my end of the world beliefs, it always makes for creative thinking and writing. So choose your apocalypse. How would the world end at the beginning of your post-apocalyptic story.
1) The Biblical Scenario- For more details pick up a Bible and read Revelation. This is still the best apocalypse story out there.
2) The Zombie Apocalypse- A virus infects us. The dead walk as the undead. Directionless, and angry, they roam the earth seeking brains to feed upon. Those who survive live to load up on guns, loot grocery stores and hide out in weird boarded up ex-military bases, hospitals, and warehouses to destroy the infected.
3)The Vampire Scenario- Water turns to blood. Those who can't handle it die...those who are higher on the evolution chain evolve, becoming a newer more evil race. Vampires. They walk the earth drinking blood and forever in torment, for all they want is a sip of water!
4) The Werewolf Armageddon- Climate change brings a new ice age upon us. Those in colder climates perish. Those in warmer climates adapt. They begin to grow fur. As years go by, no food will grow on the permafrost. They become desperate for food, cold and tired. They crawl around on all fours hunting any kind of food they can get...even each other!
5) The Alien End!- We can't ignore the alien end. This is where visitors from some distant galaxy come to our planet, kill 90% of the world's population, enslave 9% of the population, and leave the remaining 1% on the earth as an experiment.
6) The Human End- World War III causes all countries with nuclear capabilities to ignite their weapons all at once. The world ends in a fiery explosion. Any remaining humans quickly die from disease, starvation, and nuclear winter.
7) The Supernova Sun- The sun suddenly explodes into a supernova. We all die out from the heat, and Earth becomes a molten memory as the Sun gets sucked into a black hole as it caves in upon itself.
So, do you think any of this will happen Saturday? Probably not. I think the United States facing financial collapse is more likely. What do you think? I'd love to hear what you have to say about this!
Post a Comment